Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Culture of Beauty

I'm in the Qinghai-Lhasa train – a feat of engineering only the Chinese could accomplish. Mostly because they see their population as a natural resource and loss of life is just a normal part of development.

The scenery at 5000 meters is beyond spectacular – snow-capped mountains, permafrost grasslands, small pockets of water and streams running across the frozen landscape and endless sky so blue you won’t believe my photos. This train journey is one of the most beautiful experiences of my life.


I told my Chinese friend this.

His response: “Not very beautiful, no people”

If you live in a land of 1.2billion people where you are never alone, it would seem so desolate up here, so lonely and such a waste of land. To them, uninhabitable land might as well not exist. He may not find it that that appealing, but his camera shutter has been fluttering non-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment